Friday, May 2, 2008

THE FORMER OR THE LATTER


Patience

-noun


1. the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain without complaint, loss of temper, irritation or the like

2. an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay

3. quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care; dilligence


Impatient

-adjective


1. not patient; not accepting delay, opposition, pain etc., with calm or patience

2. indicating lack of patience

3. restless in desire or expectation; eagerly desirous

Today I am officially struggling with the concept of patience. On the one hand, patience (as described above on dictionary.com) seems to convey that one is calm, even tempered, diligent and acting without complaint. I can confidently state that I am this right now.

On the other hand, impatience is described as restless in desire or expectation and eagerly desirous (note these positive statements that endeavor to describe a negative connotation). I also seem to display these characteristics at the moment.

So what am I?


Patient or Impatient?

1 comment:

amy said...

Good question! I'm glad it isn't just me who feels this way~

For me, I get excited and want to do something without thinking it through very well ~ maybe that could do more harm than good?